5 Things To Know Before Your First LotteBerk® Class
With barre studios popping up everywhere, it may seem like just the latest fitness fad. But in fact, barre classes have been around since the ’50s, when former dancer Lotte Berk opened her first studio in Manchester Street,London.
Here are five things to know before taking your first LotteBerk® class.
- ARRIVE EARLY: Come in 10mins before the start of your class to complete our questionnaire and meet your teacher. If you are working with an injury let us know so that we are able to give you specific modifications.
- WEAR THE RIGHT ATTIRE: While you don’t need a specific outfit, you definitely want to feel comfortable and confident in your clothing. Try to avoid any baggy tops or trousers as it can make it difficult for your teacher to check your posture. Don’t forget your socks!
- ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE A BEGINNER (even if you’re very proficient in other sports): Expect to be given corrections on form until you learn the proper technique, we want you to get the most out of the exercises. Listen to the teacher for the modifications for beginners. Every exercise can be increased or decreased in intensity. Always work at your own level and take breaks whenever you need to.
- IT’S MODERN DANCE INSPIRED NOT BALLET: You don’t need dance experience to take LotteBerk® classes. Our classes use the barre as a prop for strengthening and stretching. Some classes use additional props such as balls, light hand weights and straps, which will be provided for you.
- KEEP WITH IT: For optimal results, we recommend taking class 3-4 times per week. Beginners are encouraged to take 6 classes in close succession to gain a better understanding of the positions and to build muscle memory and efficiency. Our Fulham Rd studio offers new clients the option to purchase a week’s unlimited pass. Ask your local studio what special offers they have available for new clients.